We are pleased to offer special astronomy programming designed to help Boy and Girl Scouts earn merit badges in Astronomy. $3 per scout with a minimum charge of $25 for a 1 hour workshop, with an additional $25 flat rate for an extended activity in the Yahng center. 1 free adult per 8 scouts.
Activities we will provide
In the Planetarium:
- Identify at least 10 constellations, including constellations of the zodiac. Sketch what you see.
- Explain the significance of the zodiac.
- Identify 10 bright stars that are visible at different times of the year.
- Observe and define circumpolar motion. Name at least three circumpolar constellations. Sketch what you see.
- Identify the five visible planets. Indicate which planets are currently visible in the sky and in which constellations they are located.
- Describe the difference between the daily and yearly motion of the Sun, Moon and planets in the sky.
- Observe the phases of the Moon.
- If the weather is clear, observe the Moon and visible planets through a reflecting telescope. Locate at least five seasonal constellations or asterisms in the southern sky.
In the Yahng Discovery Center:
- Model and explain the phases of the Moon. Construct a Moon phase calendar.
- Explore the myths associated with seasonal constellations from a variety of cultures.
- Construct a planisphere for observing constellations.
- Learn the difference between a refracting and reflecting telescope and how each works.